The first meal after a good night sleep is called breakfast. The meal is named so, as one literally breaks the long fast of the night in the morning. After the last meal of the day, there is a long gap until we have the first meal, the next day. This gap is the biggest gap between all meals which is why it is essential that one doesn’t skip it. Breakfast helps to jump-start the metabolic process. It is breakfast that provides the brain and the body fuel after the long fast of the night. It provides the energy to carry out the work of the day.
According to some studies, 35 percentage of the daily allowance of calories should be consumed at breakfast. A good and wholesome breakfast in the morning helps in improved concentration and performance, especially in children. It helps to lower cholesterol and in weight management. It has been seen that people who skip breakfast tend to put on weight rather than reduce it. They overeat during the next meal and tend to eat food with high fat and high sugar content.
A wholesome breakfast is necessary for the first meal. It should contain the five pillars of nutrition-
Establishing good breakfast habits helps to lead a healthy life.
What is a casserole?
The casserole relies on the magic of the oven to convert plain ingredients into scrumptious dishes. Casseroles can be easy or elaborate depending on the kind of ingredients you put into this one pot meal. You can have dump and mix-dish, or an elaborate multi step recipe.
Casseroles can be quite indulgent with all the butter, creams, cheese and meat that you put in but there are healthier variations and recipes that you can try. Breakfast casseroles are a great way to have a wholesome meal with all the required nutrition. You can prepare some parts of this dish the night before, keep it in the refrigerator and just bake it the next morning.
Easy breakfast casserole recipes:
Here are some easy breakfast casserole recipes that you try to spice up your breakfasts every once-in-a-while!
1. Raspberry casserole:
This is an easy and delicious casserole recipe. All you need is:
- Two cups rolled oats
- One third cup brown sugar
- One teaspoon cinnamon
- Half a teaspoon salt
- One teaspoon baking powder
- One cup raspberries
- One cup walnut pieces
- Half cup milk chocolate chips
- Two cups milk
- One large egg
- Three tablespoons butter
- One tablespoon vanilla extract
- One banana, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Take a 9×9 baking dish and spray it. Combine oats, cinnamon, baking powder, sugar, salt, half the strawberries, half the walnuts and half the chocolate chips in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg, butter, milk and vanilla extract. Put the dry items into the baking dish. Top with the rest of the nuts, fruits and chocolate. Then, pour the egg mixture over it and bake for 35 minutes. Let it cool for some time before slicing and serving.
2. Pumpkin French toast bake:
This is an easy healthy breakfast casserole that you and your family will really enjoy eating. You can also save some to have it later in the day!
- Five and a half to seven and a half cups of one-inch bread cubes
- Seven large eggs
- Two cups milk
- One teaspoon vanilla extract
- One and half teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Half cup pumpkin butter (or half a cup pumpkin puree, whichever is available)
- Three to four tablespoons brown sugar for topping.
- Nuts, like pecan or walnuts
- Put the bread cubes in a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish until quite full.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, pumpkin butter and pie spice in a large bowl, until mixed well. Pour over bread and ensure it is all soaked and mostly covered. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees; top the dish with brown sugar, additional pumpkin pie spice and nuts. Bake for 35-45 minutes or till golden brown.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, or honey.
3. Pear and Gruyere strata recipe:
The flavor of cheese and pear makes for an amazing casserole and gives you the refreshing start you need.
- Four cups sliced peeled pear
- Two teaspoons butter, melted
- Six tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 12 slices cinnamon swirl bread cut in half diagonally
- One cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- One cup egg substitute
- One and half cups of low-fat milk
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- One tablespoon granulated sugar
- Cooking spray
- Half a cup maple syrup
- Toss and combine gently butter, pear and one tablespoon sugar in a bowl.
- Grease a 11 x 7-inch glass baking and spread half of the bread in it. Spread the pear mixture evenly over the bread and then top it evenly with cheese. Arrange rest of the bread over the cheese.
- Whisk the remaining five tablespoons granulated sugar, egg substitute, milk and cinnamon. Pour this blend over the bread, pressing it down to soak. Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° in the morning. Sprinkle rest of the sugar all over the bread. Bake for 55 minutes.
- Let the dish stand for 10 minutes before cutting it into pieces. Drizzle some maple syrup over it and serve warm.
4. Sausage and cheese breakfast casserole:
This is a wholesome easy breakfast casserole recipe, which will have you asking for more.
- One teaspoon canola oil
- 12 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
- Two cups low-fat milk
- Two cups egg substitute
- Three large eggs
- Half a teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Quarter teaspoon salt
- One teaspoon dry mustard
- Quarter teaspoon ground red pepper
- 16 slices white bread
- One cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- Heat a large non-stick skillet and coat it with cooking spray. Add sausage and cook until brown, stirring and crumbling the sausage. Remove and cool.
- Combine and whisk milk and next six ingredients in a large bowl.
- Trim crusts and cut bread into one-inch cubes.
- Add sausage, bread cubes and cheddar cheese to the milk mixture and combine well.
- Pour bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, spreading it evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning, preheat oven to 350°.
- Let the casserole stand for 30 minutes after removing from refrigerator. Sprinkle evenly with paprika and bake for 45 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Serve after letting it stand for 10 minutes.
5. Apple-stuffed strata recipe:
A delicious breakfast casserole with delicious apples full of protein, vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates.
- Four cups sliced, peeled Golden apple
- Two teaspoons butter
- Six tablespoons granulated sugar (divided)
- Cooking spray
- 12 slices cinnamon-swirl bread, cut in half (diagonally)
- Three-fourth cup chopped pecans (divided)
- Half a teaspoon ground cinnamon
- One and a half cup low-fat milk
- Five large eggs
- One tablespoon granulated sugar
- Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet and saute apple, add one tablespoon granulated sugar in it until apple is tender and slightly brown. Remove and cool.
- Grease an 11 x 7-inch glass-baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange half of the bread in the dish. Top the bread with apple mixture. Then add half cup pecans over it. Arrange the rest of the bread over pecans.
- Combine and whisk the remaining five tablespoons of granulated sugar, cinnamon, milk, and eggs in a bowl.
- Pour milk mixture over the bread, pressing it down to soak. Cover and chill overnight.
- Next morning, preheat the oven to 350°. Sprinkle the granulated sugar and the remaining quarter cup pecans evenly over the bread.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until you can pull out a clean knife when inserted in the centre.
6. Cranberry-Apple French toast casserole Recipe:
The tanginess of apple adds flavor to this casserole. This is a nutritious and easy breakfast casserole recipe.
- Two tablespoons butter
- Two cups diced Granny Smith apple
- Quarter teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of ground cloves
- Quarter cup brown sugar (divided)
- One pound dinner rolls (quartered)
- Cooking spray
- Half a cup of sweetened and dried cranberries
- One quarter cups apple juice
- Three-fourth cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Half a teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Quarter teaspoon ground nutmeg
- One and a quarter cup low-fat milk
- Six large eggs, lightly beaten
- Quarter cup toasted and sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Melt butter in a non-stick skillet and saute apple, cloves and cinnamon in it.
- Cook until slightly brown and stir in two tablespoons brown sugar.
- Cook until sugar dissolves. Remove and keep aside.
- Place quartered rolls on a jellyroll pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and arrange the rolls in it.
- Sprinkle cranberries lightly over rolls. Then top with the apple blend.
- Combine and whisk apple juice and the next five ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour this mixture over roll mixture. Sprinkle with the rest of the sugar and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° next morning
- Sprinkle the dish with almonds and bake for 55 minutes.
These sweet and savoury breakfast casseroles are a great option if you are looking for hearty easy breakfast casserole recipes. They are wholesome with all the required nutrients in them. If you mix all the ingredients and prepare them night before, then making the breakfast is not a hassle the next day. Just put it in oven and while you prepare for the day, and your breakfast is ready. Every casserole recipe has its distinctive ingredients, taste and flavor but the cooking process is all the same. A good and tasty casserole is a perfect start to the day!