Do you know that excessive sweating during workouts can trigger hair fall? Here are some pointers that you can incorporate to fight this sweating menace and keep your hair healthy and strong.
Have you ever noticed that bald people sweat more than normal, around their temples? Is there any connection between sweat and hair fall? Well, there is. In fact, researchers have claimed that sweat has a direct impact on hair problems, especially hair fall. Excessive sweating makes hair look frizzy, dry and the most common complaint is “Hair Fall”.
Many people sweat excessively while exercising. However, this doesn’t mean that you have to give up exercising just to avoid sweat getting into your hair. After all, workouts help in burning fat, and at the same time give you a well-toned physique. All you need to do is learn a few tips that can keep your hair healthy even after sweating out in the gym.
How and why does sweat cause hair loss?
When you sweat, there is a salt built up in the head that causes water retention. Sweat contains lactic acid, which breaks down the exterior layers of hair causing reduction of hair follicles. The acid gradually damages hair by making it brittle, dry, weak and easy to break.
Besides damaging hair, the lactic acid present in sweat causes inflammation, which impacts hair growth. Further, if this acid stays, the salt in sweat can block the pores on your scalp and cause hair damage.
Just like the skin of your face, your scalp also must be clean and dust-free for healthy hair growth. But when sweat accumulates in the scalp, hair becomes dehydrated causing hair loss. Humidity due to sweating can enlarge the hair follicles and trigger scalp infections. Moreover, the blocked pores caused due to the shed flakes of dead cells when mix with sweat lead to skin infection. This further causes an itchy, dry scalp that triggers hair loss eventually.
However, by following a few hair care tips, you can maintain awesome hair while exercising:
Here is the solution!
- Use sweatbands and napkins: You can keep sweat away from your hairline by wearing a cotton scarf or sweat band. Similarly, use napkins to wipe off the sweat from your face and head.
- Tie your hair properly: Before you get into your workout session, ensure that you tie your hair properly. This will keep away the sweat.
- Wash your hair after a workout: The finest way to get rid of sweat after working hard in the gym is to wash your hair thoroughly. However, wash your hair only once or twice a week. This will help in retaining the moisture in your hair.
- Use a clarifying shampoo: Another great way to treat your hair after sweating is to wash your hair with a good shampoo consisting of balanced pH levels. This will help in nourishing your scalp and hair.
- Hot oil treatment: Mild hot oil massage before shampooing can help improve the look and overall health of your hair.
- Towel dry your hair: After washing your hair, towel dry it before applying any conditioner or serum, especially if you have curls. This will add bounce to your hair.
Care for your hair, as it is considered a part of beauty and good health as well. Go through the above given hair care tips to prevent hair loss due to sweating.
Nickie Patrick is a freelance writer and blogger. She shares her articles and blogs on cancer,impotence, hair care remedies, womens health etc. to all her readers on Internet.