Craft beer is a term used to refer to small breweries that make beer. To qualify as craft beer, the beer must be made by a company that produces less than 6 million barrels of beer, and the company must not own more than 25% of a company that produces non-craft beer. Craft beer is not the type you can usually buy at any liquor store in the country, but instead it is usually only available locally. One unique trait of craft beer is the seasonal types you can purchase, and here are the characteristics of these particular beers.
As a long winter is ending and the weather is starting to warm up, you will find small breweries producing craft beer options for the spring. A spring beer is often a wheat beer, which is made of wheat malt, and the key characteristic of a good spring beer is that it is refreshing.
Spring beers are generally pale colors and often contain light, fruity tastes. While large beer manufacturers produce spring beers, most small breweries also come out with one or two different options each spring.
Summer craft beer is very similar to spring beer. In the summer, you will find a lot of options that contain citrus flavors. The brewery that makes the beer may even serve it with an orange wedge or slice.
Fruit beers are also popular during the summer months, and some of the fruits used in these beers can include:
Summer beers are often light and refreshing, and they are usually pale in color.
Fall is a great time for craft beer makers because it is a popular time for drinking beer because it is the time when people:
- Celebrate holidays such as Halloween and Thanksgiving
- Watch football games
- Go hunting
Fall is the time when the weather begins to cool off, and the craft beer producers begin making beer that contains a variety of different types of spices. Some popular fall craft beer options include:
- Pumpkin beer – a lot of small breweries produce pumpkin beer for this particular season because it is something that a lot of craft beer drinkers really enjoy.
- Spiced beer – other types of fall beers include spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg
- Vanilla beer – vanilla is another ingredient popular in fall-themed craft beers.
- Chocolate beer – this type of beer is made with chocolate, and it can have a light or rich chocolate flavor
- Oatmeal – another key ingredient used in fall beers is oatmeal. Oatmeal is a common ingredient in stouts, and many small breweries produce this type of beer in the fall months.
Fall craft beer is generally dark in color and rich in flavor. Many of the beer options are labeled as meals, simply because they taste like food and are extremely filling. Winter beers are similar to fall ones, except that they often contain smells and tastes you will experience during the Christmas season.
The fourth season of the year is winter. While winter is the coldest time of year, it is also the time when people celebrate major holidays, such as Christmas. Because of this, winter craft beers often contain the following tastes:
Winter craft beers are very festive, full-flavoured, and rich. They are perfect for serving at family get-together and holiday meals.